Let’s face it; retail is notorious for high staff turnover. The training needs for this transient group of workers are ongoing, seasonal and specific to each business. This constant learning and development takes time and costs money. Corporate and enterprise eLearning solutions such as Totara LMS & Social can enhance and empower the retail sector, providing a streamlined, customised and cost effective approach to learning and development.
Here are the top 3 reasons that retail businesses need corporate eLearning services and solutions.
- Induction – New staff need to learn the systems and procedures specific to each business; this is especially true for the retail sector with staff turnover simply an ongoing reality. Corporate eLearning can streamline this process and ensure that customer service is consistent and knowledgeable staff represent brands effectively.
- Compliance training – The retail sector often has many compliance related needs such as health and safety training, money handling and security. Customised eLearning can address staff compliance by providing access to targeted training opportunities relevant to each business.
- Product knowledge – One of the most time-consuming processes for new and existing retail staff is learning about products and pricing. New and existing staff in customer-facing roles are often the primary brand representatives of a retail business, and as such they need to be sufficiently informed about products and pricing.
What’s stopping retailers from accessing eLearning solutions?
A recent retail sector benchmark report (Towards Maturity, 2015) listed the following barriers, which are specific to the learning of retail employees.
- 84% say unreliable IT infrastructure, low bandwidth or other technical factor restrict learning opportunities
- 74% find the cost of setup, development and maintenance prohibitively expensive
- 68% struggle with a lack of skills among employees to manage their own learning
- 68% also find that internal L&D staff lack the skills to implement and manage e-learning
- 58% say that staff have insufficient access to computers for eLearning to be worthwhile
How can retailers embrace these learning technologies?
There are a number of ways in which eLearning technology companies can help retailers and other business types address their learning needs and ensure they are meeting the demands of a shifting workforce in need of customised and innovative eLearning. If you’d like to see some real-life examples or find out about how your business can benefit from corporate eLearning contact us or follow us on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIN.