As part of the 2013 Emerging Technology Trials (see credits below) Brightcookie has developed a Moodle Plugin and a Mobile App (currently for Google Android and Apple iOS devices) allowing the creation of a new Assignment Type in Moodle as well as the submission of Video Assignments directly from students’ mobile phones and devices.
Adding a Video Assignment in a Moodle Course
- Turn editing on
- Select Add an activity or resource
- Select Assignment
- Enter an assignment title and description
- Set the assignment settings (due date, groups, blind marking etc) as required
- Set the submission settings to Video assignment – Yes
- Set feedback, grade, common module and access setting as required
- Select Save and return to course or Save and display
Selecting the video assignment link from the course page allows the student to view the assignment details and submission status.
The teacher is able to view the assignment details, number of participants, number of submissions, number of submissions requiring grading, due date and time remaining.
- Select View/grade all submissions
The teacher can check the status of all submissions, view the submitted video file, add a grade, update the grade, prevent submission changes and grant extensions.
- Download and install the app on your mobile device
- Android – Google Play
- Apple iOS (iPhone & iPad) – from iTunes Appstore
- Open the app and enter the Moodle site URL, username and password
The My Courses screen lists all courses that contain a video assignment
- Select a course
The My Video Assignments screen lists all video assignments for the selected course. Video assignments in red indicate that the assignment is overdue.
- Select a video assignment
The Video Assignment screen lets you upload a video for assessment.
- Enter a description about the video or leave blank to use the description as set by the teacher in Moodle
- Select a video that has been pre-recorded and saved in your device library or use the camera/video function on your device to take the video and submit it.
Optional Video Compression Apps
One of the major feedback items during the trial was that the video size produced by most devices (specially on iPads) is very big and causes problems during upload. There are several apps that can be used to compress the video before upload.
- VideoSlimmer: http://www.videoslimmerapp.com/ (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-slimmer-app/id594374096)
- iMovie: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/imovie/id377298193
- Media Converter https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=roman10.media.converter&hl=en
- VidCompress https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netcompss.vid_compress&hl=en
- VideoShrink https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.anolivetree.videoshrink&hl=en
- VidTrimPro https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goseet.VidTrimPro&hl=en
Please note that there are plans to release a future version of this app which will include the compression within the app. However there is currently no release date. Please contact us if you can contribute to this new version.
The Source for the Moodle Plugin (to be installed on the Moodle Server) is available via the Brightcookie GitHub Repository. To install copy the “video” folder into /mod/assign/sub
This project was made possible through funding from the National Vocational Education and Training (VET) E-learning Strategy (the Strategy). The Strategy is a joint initiative of the Australian and state and territory governments, designed as a three year program of action with a series of ongoing business activities reflecting its strategic objectives.
The Strategy will play a key role in enabling the Australian training sector to take advantage of the roll out of the National Broadband Network (NBN) to make major advances in the achievement of government training objectives. Coordinated action to develop sector-wide capability in using the new technological environment will at the same time stimulate innovative approaches to increasing participation in training and work, and improving the skill levels of the Australian workforce.
Managed on behalf of the Strategy by:
For further information about this business activity, please contact:
For further information about the Strategy, please contact the FLAG Secretariat:
+61 (0)3 9954 2700
© Commonwealth of Australia
(Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education) 2013